[TriLUG] Raspberry Pi USB hub

brett bolen brettb at trilug.org
Wed Sep 5 13:59:29 EDT 2012

I found a great little hub at intrex. I power my RPi using one of the 9
ports, so there is only one power supply ( to the hub).  I have not had
issues with the port not suppling enough power.

I bought it for my beagleboard ( which lacks an ethernet port -- the hub
has a built in USB based ethernet port ).

I have not tested the built in USB peripherals with RPi yet: Stereo
in/out, eSATA.

As far as a case, I have the adafruit case for the RPi running XMBC (
connected to my tv), but also have the Cobbler breakout kit for my
second Rpi.

The hub is $30 ( I did not ask for the fabled 'trilug discount'). Here
are the specs from www.intrex.com:

     HUB-MEGA9

This USB 2.0 Multi-function Dock increases the functionality and
connectivity of your notebook or desktop computer in one easy step. By
connecting it to your computer''s USB port, you can have Stereo sound
with virtual 3D effect and 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet support. Also, it
allows you to connect to a Power-over-eSATA (USB/eSATA) device and up to
nine USB 2.0 high-speed peripherals.

     1 x USB Mini-B connector (Connect to computer)

     1 x Mono microphone

     1 x Stereo headphone jack

     1 x Audio Line-out jack (Virtual 7.1ch 3D sound)

     1 x RJ-45 connector (10/100Mbps)

     9 x USB 2.0 High-speed ports (480Mbps)

     1 x Power-over-eSATA (eSATA/USB) port, with DC +5V power

     eSATA interface data transfer rate up to 1.5Gbps

     1 x DC +5V power jack

     Includes a universal AC to DC power adapter