[TriLUG] do hard disks have a shelf life?

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Thu Sep 6 17:18:16 EDT 2012

The "air hole" is not a hole. It has a thin rubber diaphragm that is used to
equalize the internal pressure with the external world without allowing airflow.
Any airflow at all into the HDD would result in head-disk contact as a result of
particulates in the air and the destruction of the disk. The desiccant is to
remove moisture from the disk after it is sealed at the factory.

On 09/06/2012 05:08 PM, Bill Farrow wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
>> I have similar drives that sit in external enclosures and are powered up to
>> run backup, for 3-12hrs, once a week. None of these have failed. Ones of the
>> same type I bought at the same time and sat on the shelf are dead.
> I wonder if the surface of the disk has oxidized or corroded over
> time.  The hard drives that I have pulled apart had a small air hole
> and filter into the cavity containing the disk.  I also think that
> there is a desiccant pack in the cavity as well.  If the drive was
> running, the temperature might keep the moisture out.
>
> Bill

"I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we
don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that."
  - Thomas Edison, in conversation with Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone, 1931

David P. Both

David P. Both, RHCE
Millennium Technology Consulting LLC
919-389-8678

dboth at millennium-technology.com

www.millennium-technology.com
www.databook.bz - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both