[TriLUG] creating KVM virtual machines

Paul Boyle pboyle at uwo.ca
Mon Sep 17 22:12:07 EDT 2012

Hi,

What's the difference between the command line programs vm-install and virt-install?

>From my looking at it virt-install can specify an --arch parameter whereas the vm-install can only install a vm as the native CPU architecture. It is also seems that vm-install does more of the legwork in setting up a network bridge.

I've googled around trying to find a good compare/contrast of these programs but I haven't found one yet. Can someone explain the differences between these two programs?

In particular, I am interested in setting up an vm with a i586 architecture on a x86_64 host.

Thanks,

Paul

--
Paul D. Boyle, Ph. D.