[TriLUG] e2fsck under cron gets retcode=8 operational error

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Tue Sep 18 15:37:48 EDT 2012

At 3:20pm -0400 Tue, 18 Sep 2012, Joseph Mack na3t wrote:
> Since the script runs fine from the CLI, I'm wondering if there's
> something about running fsck under cron. I execute fsck with the
> pathname (/usr/sbin/e2fsck) so there's no problem finding the
> executable.

I don't generally need to use cron for my daily work, so when I do, I'm
often bitten by my assumptions from my CLI environment.  What you might
do for debugging purposes to write a shell script and spit out the
entire environment to a file.  Then you can read the file, try to
recreate the environment, and see if you can make fsck fail "while you
watch".

Cheers,

Kevin