[TriLUG] e2fsck under cron gets retcode=8 operational error

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Sep 18 18:09:22 EDT 2012

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012, Igor Partola wrote:

>> Now I see why all the people, who were getting error code
>> 8 with fsck, were getting them inside cron or on bootup
>> with no terminal.
>>

> The reason I suggested this is because a couple of days
> ago I was reading the documentation for sh.py
> (http://amoffat.github.com/sh/index.html) which
> specifically mentions attaching a tty to a subprocess
> where it requires it.

it was my lucky day then

> Also, check out the -C option to fsck
> (http://linux.die.net/man/8/fsck) which will write the
> progress info to a file, which I was reading about last
> night.

this was an embedded fsck and doesn't have that option.
However not realising that the term was the problem, I would
have missed this as a solution too

> I think the behavior is not really crippled. fsck is
> saying that "in this mode, I might need to ask you a
> question later, which may lead to distructive changes. I
> cannot do this without a tty, therefore I'll fail
> explicitly."

I'd rather it said "I don't have a tty, so I'll restrict
myself to the simple operations. If there are problems I'll
exit with error codes."

If it's not going to run because it doesn't have a tty, it
should tell you that's why it's exiting.

Joe