[TriLUG] creating KVM virtual machines

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Tue Sep 18 19:46:10 EDT 2012

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 17:54:49 -0400
Paul Boyle <pboyle at uwo.ca> wrote:

> it talked about creating a network bridge device by hand. Another
> source said that wireless adapters didn't work well with KVM (i'm
> doing this on my laptop). vm-install just seemed to take care of this
> step. So, the question is, with virt-install, do I still need to
> create a bridge by hand, and will it work with a wireless network
> adapter?
>
> Making the bridge doesn't seem so bad, but hard coding the IP address
> into some config file didn't seem to be such a great idea for a
> laptop that uses different wireless networks depending on where I am.

Bridged mode (where your computer looks like a hub or switch with two
devices (the host and guest) connected to it) won’t work on wireless
networks without coöperation of the access point [0].

If this is just for testing, the easiest thing to setup is the
user-mode stack, where the qemu-kvm process makes network connections
like any other process on behalf of the guest. The guest sees a NATed
network with a working DHCP server.

You could also setup the DHCP and NAT on a virtual interface that is
assigned to the guest (or that is on a real network via VPN).

Jack

[0]
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Documentation/iw#Using_4-address_for_AP_and_client_mode