[TriLUG] OSS barriers to user contribution

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Wed Sep 19 09:18:02 EDT 2012

I find it interesting to analyse the "e2fsck under cron" situation for
the underlying problems that we have in the Open Source world.

What are the barriers preventing users contributing, and how can we
reduce or remove them ?

* user frustration with poor documentation, software bugs, badly designed code
* multitude of mailing lists, web forums, bug tracking systems
* perceived difficultly in contacting author or maintainer
* users are missing the "sense of ownership"

(And many more that I an unable to articulate clearly at this time.)

Bill