[TriLUG] e2fsck under cron gets retcode=8 operational error

Joseph S. Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 04:29:12 EDT 2012

Ok, stupid question time:

Why do you bother to umount at all?  Why not just do it at shutdown?

Why haven't you already turned off mount count and time based checking
on that volume (from another system perhaps) if you're forcing a fsck
every hour anyway?

Why are you running fsck so frequently?  Won't that prematurely age
your thumb drive?

Why are you using ext2/3/4 on a thumb drive instead of a FS built for
flash storage so that you get error detection and correction as a
feature of the FS instead of having to kludge this whole convoluted
thing together?

Joseph

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012, Igor Partola wrote:
>
>> Not familiar with fsck or cron enough to say for sure, but could this have
>> something to do with attaching or not attaching a tty? Login vs
>> non-interactive shell? Are you getting the stderr and stdout from the
>> failed process emailed to you by cron?
>

> have been using
>
> e2fsck -p
>
> which is the option you're supposed to use when booting
>
> instead of
>
> e2fsck -f (or -yf)
>
> which was exiting immediatly with error code 8, apparently because there was
> no tty.
>
> -p fixes problems that can be fixed without human intervention (eg journal)
>
> However with the thumbdrive being mounted and umounted every 5 mins, the
> mount count goes up and eventually the thumb drive won't mount at all. -p
> doesn't reset the mount count, but -f would if it didn't exit with an error
> code.
>
> There isn't a package for tune2fs, which would reset the mount count. I
> would have to cross-compile it up, which I'll do if I have to. I would
> rather that e2fsck handled it. Here are the options available to e2fsck in
> OpenWrt
>
>  -p                   Automatic repair (no questions)
>  -n                   Make no changes to the filesystem
>  -y                   Assume "yes" to all questions
>  -c                   Check for bad blocks and add them to the badblock list
>  -f                   Force checking even if filesystem is marked clean
>  -v                   Be verbose
>
> Any ideas on running e2fsck -f, without a tty, on a clean disk, to reset the
> mount count?
>

> Thanks Joe

> jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant map
> generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml
> Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!
> --
> This message was sent to: Joseph Tate <dragonstrider at gmail.com>

Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com