[TriLUG] OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Oct 18 07:37:09 EDT 2012

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012, Aaron Joyner wrote:

> indicates we do hire quite a few foreign workers, at
> attractive salaries, and currently we're *only* allowed to
> do that when we can't find a US citizen to fill the
> position.

The companies always offer up this bromide. The loopholes in
these laws make this a non-requirement. You can always write
a job description for which you can find no US citizens to
fill the position. When pressed the companies then ask
congress for stronger enforcement, while keeping the
loopholes. This allows congress to declare that they've done
something and wash their hands of the problem.

salary is not the only factor.

I've moved for jobs all my life. This is expensive. You
don't put equity in a home. The people who benefit are real
estate agents and moving companies. Your kids are torn out
of their schools. You have to find new doctors, dentists,
people to do things with.

What's the average SAT of the kids at Lenoir high school?
How many of the graduates go to top colleges? Does the
public library have books by Howard Zinn?

I was up that way last weekend. From the road side placards,
your choice of political candidates seems to be a range of
conservative republicans (the regular republicans are
extinct). A friend of mine is a professor at a local college
there. When looking for a job, one of the interview
questions was "how are you going to use _your_subject_ to
show the glory of christ?". This is acceptable for a
privately funded christian college, but not for a publically
funded community college. Who are you going to talk to if
you believe the earth is more than 6000yrs old?

I have a job so I can have a life and raise a family, who
will get a better education than I did. I'm done with moving
for salaries and glamorous sounding projects.

Joe