[TriLUG] OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

R Radford rradford at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 18 23:15:26 EDT 2012

Okay guys, this is getting depressing.  I do see and read about horror
stories, but I refuse to believe it is only hitting tech, and I refuse
to believe the cause is as simple as blaming it on out-sourcing.

I am 51 years old, and have been in some sort of tech since I was in
high school (started out in TV repair), on through college (paying my
own way), and have worked in small start ups and large corporations
and I have had my share of short lapses of pay when a company would
shut down, or a lay off, etc, so I will not say it has been perfect.

However, I have been able to find employment every time and I don't
see that changing in the near future.  Sure, you can point to specific
cases of people who are un-employeed and can't find work, but that is
true all across the spectrum.

I also did not enter tech so I could get rich - I did it because I
thought it WAS FUN.  I am a firm believer that if you don't enjoy what
you are doing during your day job, you will be unhappy during that
time and it will affect other parts of your life.

So if you believe that their is still life in tech, and you still
believe in the field, can I hear an AMEN - surely I am not the only
person who is still happy in tech, happy of the decision the made,
happy with the overall strength of the field, and ready to see what we
can all do in the next generation...