[TriLUG] OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Fri Oct 19 15:34:03 EDT 2012

(Modified for brevity)
>>     The business interests who control much of our nation's power are
>>     pushing towards a borderless, international marketplace for
>>     knowledge workers.
> And why shouldn't they do that? That is their job, after all (delivering
> value to their
> stockholders).
The stock holders are but one small part of the whole of the nation.  This
has become about more than the stock holders and is becoming an issue of
stability and solvency of the entire nation.  We've had one small segment
of the population prospering at the expense of the majority of it.  The
businesses want the benefits and profits of being in the US with the
expenses of places like SE Asia.  This needs to be stopped as it is in the
interests of the nation as a whole, if not the necessary for its survival.
 The system has become corrupt, and I am concerned that it is all but
beyond repair, at least without a decent into another civil war.

We've been arguing about immigration and H1B visas, but the issues are
much more fundamental.  We're dealing with a poorly run market and
political system that is so severely out of balance it is on the brink of
instability.

> Besides, if someone in another country is willing and able to do the same
> job as me, why should they
> be denied that opportunity?  (snip)
A more mature economy, like the US can not compete, dollar for dollar with
a 3rd world nation, nor should they be expected to. The US worker has
every right to earn a US wage, not a Chinese one and the US Company has an
obligation to pay a US wage, not a Chinese one.

> If they come here to work...
Come here and work, and live, and earn the same fair wages as everyone
else.  Not come here, work, live in a communal hut while sending money
back to your mother land and then leave, or worse.  As I said previously,
I doubt if many, if any, here are against good immigration.  Most of us,
however, are opposed to the parasitic kind.

> Whether you like it or not, we ARE competing with IT workers all over the
> world. Deal with it.
Perhaps the businesses should be made to deal with the inability to use
foreign labor?  I have had this discussion with some serious Libertarian
Constitutionalists, and even they say (acknowledge) that regulation of
international commerce is a valid function of the Federal Govt as it fall
squarely in the realm of national security; and yes, the financial
stability and solvency of the people of the US is a national security
issue.

> As an aside, I feel that bringing foreign workers here or outsourcing work
> to them is a socially
> beneficial thing to do ....
Quite frankly, I don't care about improving the world at large and I am
damned well not willing to pay for it out of my pocket book.  If these
companies or their stockholder feel such a moral obligation let them pay
for it.

In the mean time, I will continue to work on my stockpile of food, water
and bullets for the day when the SHTF.