[TriLUG] OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Oct 19 16:24:07 EDT 2012

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Chris Merrill wrote:

> And why shouldn't they do that? That is their job, after
> all (delivering value to their stockholders).  And it
> would be naive to assume that we don't benefit from this
> every single day.

I'll bight. Tell me, how much did I benefit from 2007-8?

> The relentless pursuit of higher profitability includes a
> drive to improved efficiency and cost-reduction. That
> requires technology -- and our industry is one of the
> biggest benefactors of this drive. It also means that the
> products and services we consume get better and cheaper
> every day.

This is an assumption or a choice about how you live your
life, not a given.

Let's say I want a life where I can enjoy the world, be with
my kids, get an education and contribute in some way to
making the world a better place, I may not be interested in
the relentless pursuit of higher profitability. I may
instead be interested in better health care, schools where
the teachers come from the top 1/3 of graduates rather than
the bottom 1/3, stable employment and a society where I'm
valued rather than seen as an expendable cog in some
business's wheel, living in fear that if I loose my job, I
will not have healthcare and will loose my home. I would be
quite happy with higher prices.

Joe