[TriLUG] OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Oct 20 04:51:23 EDT 2012

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, R Radford wrote:

> I accepted a job at NetApp about 3 years ago and I had
> ZERO storage experience - just programming experience, so
> I call BS on your comment that they have to be promoted
> from within.

I was talking about the jobs with very nice salaries, which
for me is 100k$+. Can you get these with zero storage
experience?

>> The only competitor is EMC^2 and they only have a storage
>> facility here. The programmers are in Boston (AFAIK). So
>> the only place NetApp can fill the NC positions, without
>> someone moving, is from within the company.
>
> Again, BS, after spending 3 years at NetApp, I decided to
> bounce over to EMC where they have a very active
> development site here in the RTP area.

I was at EMC in RTP last year and told that there was no
developement there. Sounds like things have changed.

> If you spent half of your time whining actually studying
> and learning new technologies and applying yourself to
> looking in the triangle, I am positive you would have a
> better outlook on life.

You usually need experience to get 100k$. This is reality,
not whining.

> Your entire view of life, in general, of technology, the
> US, and NC is depressing

You're elated to know that NC is 39th in SATs, the 3 best
high schools in Durham have only average SATs, that Cuba
with 1/9th GDP/capita has a longer life expectancy and a
lower infant mortality than the US, that people on this list
test the quality of life in the US by comparing it with
3rd world countries?

> if you really find it so bad, have you considered just
> giving up and moving on to somewhere else where you think
> you would be happier?

Chris Merrill thinks that if something is wrong you should
move too. This doesn't scale. You can't abandon a place
because you aren't prepared to fix the problems. Using that
approach, soon nowhere will be fit to live. To fix problems,
first you have to make people aware that they exist.

Joe