[TriLUG] OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Oct 20 13:41:17 EDT 2012

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 13:04:44 -0400, Alan Porter said:
> On 10/19/2012 10:55 PM, R Radford wrote:
> > If you spent half of your time whining actually studying and
> > learning new technologies and applying yourself to looking in the
> > triangle, I am positive you would have a better outlook on life.
>
> Also worth considering is the tone that we use while trying to
> improve the world around us. Is it constructive, or do other people
> quickly tire of hearing it?
>
> Ask anyone I work with, and they will tell you that I complain about
> our tools and processes more than anyone else in the group. But I
> also actively try to improve matters where I can, and I am a prolific
> information-sharer. And that is why they will also tell you that I am
> key contributor to the group.
>
> The same is true here in TriLUG. I might point out our flaws, but I
> try not to let that drown out my forward-looking vision or my passion
> for sharing. And as a result, I have a pretty good karma with the LUG
> crowd. I have gotten endorsements and job recommendations from
> several LUG members (and I thank them).
>
> As a result, it has not been too difficult to achieve a so-called
> "nice" salary, a pretty good lifestyle, some great friends in the
> group, and a positive outlook on life.
>
> # ɹǝʇɹoԀ uɐl∀

Hi Alan,

You bring up several excellent points that it's impossible to argue
with, because you're basically saying, try to improve things, but do
so constructively. You're right.

So let me try to be more constructive. If our nation continues to have
a measured immigration policy, rather than "keep em all out" or "let em
all in", and if we have a measured policy toward regulating
corporations, instead of "let em do anything" or "let em do nothing",
we'll have an increasingly happier and more prosperous nation.

And, thanks to your advice that I've quoted above, I'm now ready to
retract my statement that college is nothing but class warfare, and
restate it as this: If employers quit using a college degree as a
screen, we will move much closer to a meritocracy, our workforce
will be much more skilled, and our nation will be stronger. And
furthermore, if motivated students of all economic statuses go to
college and learn deeply, by force of their knowledge and motivation
they will rise above the competition and give us a top-notch workforce.

SteveT