[TriLUG] IRC

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Oct 23 10:34:17 EDT 2012

> The IRC channel is a semi-official home-away-from-home for us, and even though I have some administrative privileges ... , none of us (TriLUG SC members) own that space in any meaningful way. This list has 600+ subscribers and is something that is actively owned/maintained by the LUG, while the IRC channel rarely has more than 70 nicks.

To clarify...

The IRC channel is a 3rd party service, a lot like Twitter, that we
don't really own.  A handful of LUG members established the channel many
years ago and a few of us have some operator-level privileges (a smaller
number of us actually know how to USE those commands effectively).
#trilug has become a hangout for Linux-related questions and general
tomfoolery.

So yesterday, someone played a prank in the shared commons that we call
"#trilug"... an annoying prank.  Noise was made, (volunteer) operators
were told, things were fixed.  Make sure you thank the prankster for the
fun that was shared.

Alan Porter
janitor, not cop