[TriLUG] Why Linux For Me

Jeremy Davis jeremydavis at jeremydavis.biz
Tue Oct 30 01:06:35 EDT 2012

Igor,

I have a Mac Mini that the DVD player has crapped out on. It is about
3 years old so maybe I expect too much. In contrast, I have a 12 year
old Compaq and a few Gateways (cheap computers) that are still holding
up no problem, and running much better with Linux than they ever did
with Microsoft. I have an Ipad 2 that bricked itself, suspiciously the
same day they released the iPad Minis recently. My iPad2 charger did
not work out of the box new. The new replacement worked for 3 months
and quit working. My Apple wireless mouse works intermittently and has
always worked intermittently since I got it. It actually causes a
carpel tunnel issue in my hand after short use of it so I went out and
bought an Apple wireless touch pad, which I actually like sort of, as
long as I am not doing serious work. I bought my grandfather an iPad
and the wifi antennae was faulty. Also, his iPad is not compatible
with anything anymore. He would have to buy a Mac to sync and update
it to keep it going. Netflix quit working on my Mac mini recently. I
have a Macbook Pro less than a year old that has slowed down to a
crawl when performing basic things like clicking on stuff. I wonder if
the latest Java vulnerability got it and not sure how to fix it if so.
The iPod still works because I have never had the patience to use it.
I am gonna stop here on the Mac problems but there are more. No one
more, my wife is taking college classes for graphics design and the
software compatibility issues have been like lighting my hair on fire
and putting it out with a hammer. Apple must be awesome for many and I
hope no Mac fans were offended here, but I have not had a good
experience on a personal level and I spent a LOT of money for the Mac
experience. One more, VirtualBox crashes Mac all the time.

I have had success with Lenovo laptops lately. The hardware quality
seems to be good, although a little bit more expensive too. Runs Linux
Mint really well. I gave one to my aunt and my grandfather after
installing Linux Mint. Both are NON tech savvy and both have been very
happy. Lenovo is made in China, same place as Apple and everything
else. One thing I noticed with my aunt's Lenovo laptop with the i5
Intel Processor, the Open Office apps opened really fast. Everything
snaps and pops. I bought a Gateway desktop recently with an i7 Intel
processor and the Open Office apps do not open nearly as fast as my
aunt's Lenovo laptop.

I plan to replace my Mac Mini with one of these. A MintBox with a
solid state drive would be very nice to have.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/first-linux-mint-pcs-go-on-sale/11193
http://www.pcworld.com/article/257368/meet_the_mintbox_a_new_mini_pc_with_linux_mint_preinstalled.html

Hope this helps

Jeremy