[TriLUG] package management pitfalls

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 13:12:25 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Igor Partola <igor at igorpartola.com> wrote:

> TL;DR version is, I agree with you on the whole: there are plenty of
> problems with Linux distro packages, at least judging by Debian/Ubuntu.
> However, this system is still about 5 times better than any other I've seen
> or heard of.

Cygwin on Windows was pretty good, probably because there was so
little to choose from.  Cygwin is just "the GNU/Unix stuff you need,"
not a general purpose software delivery system the way Linux packaging
is.  MinGW eventually acquired some packaging, but since it's
"Minimalist GNU for Windows" it offers far less than what Cygwin does.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every