[TriLUG] laptop cooling fan

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Wed Oct 31 15:16:09 EDT 2012

I have not run the numbers on this, but I have been told that the amount
of energy needed and heat created to run such a fan from USB is not
sufficiently offset by the displacement of same. As such, you're
actually making the problem worse. You'd probably be better off cleaning
out the fans as suggested by other posters in the thread and then making
sure you have good passive ventilation around the whole laptop.

-- Kevin