[TriLUG] Revisiting local dnsmasq DNS resolution

Brian Henning bhenning at pineinst.com
Fri Nov 2 12:54:08 EDT 2012

Hi Seva,

dnsmasq is a DHCP and DNS server in one, so it is always able to resolve
hostnames for the machines to which it assigns leases (assuming the client
machine includes its hostname in the DHCPREQ packet, which seems to be the
case for most devices on my network).  blueman has never had any entry in
any /etc/hosts file; the "hostname entry" is in the dhcp leases file
maintained by dnsmasq.

Yes, I can do anything I want if I use the IP address directly; recall my
original statement that using:

$ ssh `dig +short blueman`

(where the backtick operator provides the output of 'dig +short blueman' to
ssh as a command-line argument)

works just fine.

Cheers,
~Brian