[TriLUG] Issue Tracking

Joseph S. Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 12:00:01 EST 2012

A lot of open source products use Trac as a wiki/issue tracker/code
repository.  Redmine is another system I've used that is free for OSS work.
 Jira I think is too.  All three of these require significant (and
increasing, respectively) hardware resources to run (where significant
means more than a cheapo hosting plan or entry level cloud node).  I've
also used and set up Bugzilla, but it often leaves much to be desired in
its workflow and SCM integration.  Limesurvey.org uses something that I
think is interesting, it's called Mantis Bug Tracker.  Seems like the
engineers' issue tracker for the intricate details it collects and tracks.

For my own projects, I've just been using Bitbucket for docs/wiki/bug
purposes.  As long as I don't have more than 5 contributors, I can have
unlimited private projects.  Unfortunately that means that one of those
contributors has to file each bug and customers can't see them.  Open
Source projects get unlimited contributors though and the bug reports are
public.  Github has private repos too, but you have to pay for them.

Joseph