[TriLUG] this is a serious question - how to detect things in photos with Linux

Joseph S. Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 23:32:29 EST 2012

There is a good computer vision library (OpenCV) for Python.  That's what
Kurt used for his militarized squirrel shooting robot (
http://kurtgrandis.com/blog/2012/03/12/recap-of-the-squirrel-hordes/).  It
looks like there are at least two other CV libraries for Python.  Something
similar to Kurt's project is probably what you'll need.

One thing's for sure though: there's a large amount of training data freely
available on the web.

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Background: I have been tasked with building the technical end of a 21st
> century photo booth, the kind you sit in that used to spit out four photos,
> for a company on the Outer Banks.  Instead of printing out photos said
> company wants to upload photos to their Facebook page, website, etc..
> perhaps even Tweet them.
>
> Easy enough, right?  (famous last words)  Get a Linux
> single-board-computer (one with wi-fi to connect to the office network and
> Internet), a webcam, write some simple scripts and success!
>
> But that said, being as this will be an automated process and people are
> people I need to come up with a way to detect boobs, butts and junk (yes,
> I'm serious) to filter and objectionable pictures before they are uploaded.
>
> Has anyone done anything like this?  I've seen some projects on-line that
> shoots water at squirrels eating birdseed and whatnot and maybe that's the
> way.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Greg
>
> Sent from my iPad
> --
> This message was sent to: Joseph Tate <dragonstrider at gmail.com>
> TriLUG FAQ          :

Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com