[TriLUG] image of hard drive question

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Fri Dec 21 08:57:54 EST 2012

Joseph,

That is encouraging information. Now it is off to purchase a hard
drive. I may end up putting it in a usb case, so that once a month I
can exercise the hard drive then put it back on the shelf.

I would do my imaging with hard drive in the pc ( ide drive to ide drive ).

Any comments, pitfalls during the imaging routine that I should be
looking for or trying to avoid?

jcj

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012, James Jones wrote:
>
>> Plus if any of the purchased software on the hard drive can tell the
>> difference and fail to run?
>

> I don't know for sure, but think it unlikely. I've heard that Win7 does
> checks on the hardware to test if it's been moved (eg you put a image copy
> onto another machine). I believe that this is weighted with the MAC address
> getting the most weight. Since disks die, I don't expect Win7 cares too much
> about which disk is in there. Each disk has an ID (can see with fdisk) which
> is in the mbr. If you do a dd copy of the whole disk, you'll take the ID
> with you.
>
> I don't think winxp does any hardware checks
>

> Joe

> jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant map
> generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml
> Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!
> --
> This message was sent to: jc jones <jc.jones at tuftux.com>