[TriLUG] image of hard drive question

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Dec 21 12:09:27 EST 2012

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> If you still have blocks to recover, put the dubious disk in the
> freezer (in a plastic bag) for a couple of hours and then ddrescue it in the
> plastic bag on the bench (plastic bag, so the disk doesn't get wet and short
> out).

I wrap the disk in a paper towel, then put it in the plastic
bag and then put it in the freezer. Leave a gap in the paper
towel for the cables for when you pull it out. The paper
towels are to sop up any water that might get into the
plastic bag. If your disk is in a usb enclosure, wrap the
whole thing in paper towel first (I pull the circuit board
and disk out of the enclosure and put it in the paper towel)

If you're recovering a small fraction of the disks blocks at
this stage, the disk is unlikely to get hot before you
recover them. If the disk gets warm, and you're still
recovering blocks, then pull the plastic bag and paper
towels off. If it starts clicking while you're recovering
blocks, just stick it back in the freezer again.

Joe