[TriLUG] 9kb message limit on TriLUG mailman server

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sun Dec 23 14:07:33 EST 2012

On 23/12/2012 6:30 AM, matt at noway2.thruhere.net wrote:
> I would ask, how often do with think the 9k limit saves us from
> distribution of abusive behavior? As far as "slogging through series
> of reply digests", I am not convinced that this would be the case.
> When I am catching up on a long discussion thread, I find I can read
> the updated portion while ignoring the part with '>' by it and only
> have to read one or two, in which case the long replies are helpful,
> to get the whole context. Since we've had several complaints about it
> being too low, but to the best of my knowledge no complaints that
> messages are too big, I would suggest that we up it a bit and see what
> happens but I doubt that we will notice any negative effects.

Just to add my $0.02, I definitely agree that the limit is a great idea
to keep out the "reply to digests" or replies that don't bother to trip
irrelevant quoted sections.  It's a good tool to educate people on
proper list etiquette .    But I can't comment on what the limit should
be , 15k sounds fine.

Cheers,
Jeremy