[TriLUG] ZFS and hardware raid question

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 10:00:01 EST 2013

I went through the same exercise recently and found the "best practice" is not to use hardware RAID.  However, ZFS certainly can work with hardware RAID but you won't get the extra benefits of low-level disk stuff (scrubbing, etc).  When using hardware RAID, ZFS is just an enhanced filesystem manager (dynamic pools, compression, etc).

-Ron