[TriLUG] modem-to-modem connections, perle STS16

Dewey Hylton plug at hyltown.com
Tue Jan 8 14:00:08 EST 2013

got it. the perle sts16 is a device which provides access to serial
ports (16, in my case) over the network or other method. in my case,
i ssh into the perle and select a port corresponding to the unix serial
console i'd like access to. but having these as far away as california,
i wanted another way to gain access in case the internet link went down
or something.

http://www.perle.com/products/IOLAN-STS-Terminal-Server.shtml

i'm pretty sure there's no need for a null modem cable in my case. :)

unfortunately getting answers from their tech group requires a paid
maintenance contract, which i do not yet have. i've started that ball
rolling, though, as i'm missing something and cannot put my finger on
it.