[TriLUG] modem-to-modem connections, perle STS16

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Jan 8 14:52:41 EST 2013

Dewey, it sounds like you're doing everything right, the concept you
describe should work just dandy.  Like Bill, I'd suggest
double-checking your serial pinouts, in particular check the relevant
data and control-flow pins from the documentation for the serial
dongle you're using on the laptop and it's adapter (which works when
connected to the perle), as compared to the documentation of the
pinouts on the sportster and it's adapter (which does not).  It sounds
like that's the most likely simple error.

If that looks good on paper, but you get the failure-to-communicate
you describe, try plugging up laptops to both sides of the modem
connection.  This should rule out the perle from the equation, and you
should be able to type from one computer to the other, at the least.
If you can talk to both modems with the laptops, but can't talk across
the modems with the laptops... well, thar' be dragons.  :)

Best of luck, let us know what it turned out to be in the end.  :)
Aaron S. Joyner