[TriLUG] Anyone else able to get to cdimage.debian.org?

Jeff Schornick jeff at schornick.org
Sat Jan 12 11:17:52 EST 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Chris Knowles <cknowles2112 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, if anyone has a good general purpose desktop distribution they'd
> recommend, I'm happy to hear it.  Only real requirement is that it be kept
> relatively up to date, and relatively low maintenance, this is the distro
> that I use to work on everything else, so it needs to be working.

It sounds like you want Ubuntu.  =)

No seriously.  I'm also not a fan of Unity either, even if I do
foolishly give it a fair shot each and every new Ubuntu release.  That
said, I don't see the point of ditching a well-supported distro just
because you don't care for their vanilla desktop environment and/or
window manager.  Canonical certainly makes some silly decisions, but
thus far they don't seem to be making life intentionally onerous for
folks wanting to break away from their defaults.

Folks who know me well know I'm a fan of tiling window managers,
especially if you're a heavy terminal user.  I generally use either i3
or xmonad, but do so without giving up all of Ubuntu's other
strengths.  You're employing the same basic strategy by test-driving
Kubuntu, but if your beef is only with Unity, even that seems an
unnecessary jump.

  - Jeff