[TriLUG] [Splat Space] Digest for durham-makerspace at googlegroups.com - 9 Messages in 5 Topics

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 17:19:58 EST 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM,  <durham-makerspace at googlegroups.com> wrote:
>  bogo-bogomips & Scratch tutorial on RPi Re: [TriLUG] Raspberry Pi followup
>
> Pete Soper <pete at soper.us> Jan 14 12:38PM -0500
> (Cross-posting, as many Splat Spacers are not on the TriLUG list).
>
> A few more numbers.
>
> Clock setting Reported bogomips C program triple-for-loop
> elapsed seconds
>
> 700 697 16.5
> 800 697 14.5
> 900 697 12.9

The cpu speed scales, so initially it starts at 700MHz, but under load
it reports higher:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

I have a python script on here that will load the cpu:
http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com/2012/09/loverclocking-du-pi.html

And cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq will
then report max clock speed.

To always force the higher speed, this worked a few months back, not
sure if it is working in the latest update:

force_turbo = 1 (in /boot/config.txt)

> The same first grader who said "I've used that before" Thursday night
> came and gave a Scratch tutorial.

That's good to hear. The main purpose for the Pi is to get the younger
generation ready with CS skills as early as possible, and not get as
much of the "deer in the headlights" look in higher ed.

It was a good week for the Pi in the area. On wednesday, IEEE in
Winston Salem was featuring the Pi (if you attended my PyCarolinas
talk last year, it was very similar, plus I plugged the various local
hackerspaces), then trilug on thursday night, and on saturday, beside
the Splat Space event, Fablocker was doing its third monthly PyHack
Workshop with the Pi.

Francois

--
www.pyptug.org  -  raspberry-python.blogspot.com