[TriLUG] Thinkpad R30, Debian 6.0.6

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Tue Jan 22 15:14:14 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Grawburg <grawburg at myglnc.com> wrote:
> 1. I only get about 2/3 of the screen...and I can't find anyway to make the desktop fit the entire screen space.
> 2. I'd like to have better than 800x600 resolution.

Here are the specs for your laptop.  You have a Trident CyberBlade
graphics chip with 8MB RAM.
  http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:R30

Debian may have failed to recognize your graphics card and defaulted
to the VESA driver at a low resolution.  You may need to create or
edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and force it to load the trident
driver.

This webpaage says that you can get 1024x768 resolution, and he has
included some of his XF86Config file which is equivalent to the
xorg.conf file.
  http://www.uhoreg.ca/thinkpadr30linux

> 3. The mouse, be it the Trackpoint on the R30 or an attached USB is very annoying.

Can you describe the problem that you are having. The above webpage
also says to turn on SWCursor option to fix the mouse pointer
graphics.

> 4. Can't find the extra programs like Python.

You will need to install Python and other development tools.
  apt-cache search python
  sudo apt-get install python

Bill