[TriLUG] Wifi Adapter for Pi

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Fri Jan 25 10:39:27 EST 2013

I can recommend one not to buy...

I got BUFFALO AirStation N150 Wireless USB Adapter - WLI-UC-GNM from Amazon
a little while ago. Works great, but two problems:

1. It doesn't have enough range and even sitting next to the router, packet
loss is noticeable.

2. It overheats like crazy. I had it plugged into the USB hub and the Pi
started freezing up. When I went to investigate it burned my fingers. The
whole USB hub was very warm but the side with this adapter was unbearably
hot. Mind you, I was sending no traffic through it: it was just a backup to
the wired connection.

The next adapter I will buy will likely have an external antenna. It's a
shame this one didn't work: I generally like Buffalo products.

Igor