[TriLUG] TriLUG Digest, Vol 1849, Issue 1

Michael Rulison 13miketele at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 26 15:51:32 EST 2013

On 1/26/2013 12:00 PM, trilug-request at trilug.org wrote:
> ... On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Grawburg <grawburg at myglnc.com>
> wrote:
>> >I am not trying to login through GNOME.  Ctrl-Alt-F1 gets me to this
>> >prompt: debian login:
>> >
>> >I type: root     and then get the prompt for the password. I type in
>> >bguser.
>> >I get - login incorrect
>> >
>> >I login as the user brian and enter my password. Fine,
>> >
>> >Type su, enter root password (bguser) and get 'Authentication failure'
>> >
>> >I purchased the 8 DVD's and hate to waste the $26 by trying to install
>> >another distro.
>> >
>> >Should I try another laptop? We have an older Dell Inspiron I could
>> >probably use.
>> >

>> >Brian Grawburg

Having recently needed to login as root on an Unbuntu 12.10 install on
Dell Inspiron E 1505, I have found that when this is messed up I needed
to do:

  * boot to restore
  * choose command prompt
  * sudo su root
  * [prompts for new password]
  * enter new password 2x
  * su root
  * [prompts for password]
  * [enter new password]
  * if in doubt of result: [whoami] === root
  * As root: do something you always wanted to do OR reboot and login as
    user with its password and su root if that is needed, with new root
    password.

Michael Rulison	-	919.782.9576
Raleigh NC 27607