[TriLUG] NASA/Wallops launch info: Tonight (1/29) at 5:50-ish.

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Jan 29 19:25:31 EST 2013

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013, Aaron Joyner wrote:

> Thanks for the very timely post, Joseph.  That was fun to watch!

8 mins warning ;-)

Here's the view of the two thermite canisters from Duck, NC.

courtesy of cathy belcher @cath439

it looks like two point sources burning. I was wondering if
we would see a trail of ions glowing from UV illumination by
the sun. Instead it looks like you had to be outside at the
moment the two canisters were ignited.

I went outside straight after the launch, but I don't have a
good view east from here. I also didn't know the expected
elevation. I expect there was no hope of me seeing anything.

Wallops Is was something I read about when I was a kid. That
was the era when you learned about space exploration by
going to a library and taking out a book. You saw pictures
of Werner von Braun and V2 rockets and the WAC Corporal. You
were 4-10 yrs behind. It's just amazing to think that we
ever learned about things this way. Can you imagine learning
about Linux, only after a book on it appeared in the local

When I lived in MD, my neighbor in Silver Spring used to
talk about trips to Wallops Is in WWI to test the proximity