[TriLUG] Silly Survey about a dash or a minus in a command line option

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Sun Feb 10 19:08:04 EST 2013

Spoken like a true sysadmin and therefore it is the correct answer. ;-)

On 02/10/2013 06:47 PM, John Vaughters wrote:
> Hahahahaha, agreed, but he is not a sys admin, he is an older Engineer and he sincerely wanted to know what Sys Admins call it. He was using minus, and I agree, that Minus gives a subtraction perception amd in my experience people that use minus tend to be people not used to communicating with Sys Admins, which is why I specifically asked this group.
>
> So far the dashes are winning.
>
> My logic for using dash is that it is just shorter to pronounce and makes communication quicker.
>

> ________________________________

"I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we
don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that."
  - Thomas Edison, in conversation with Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone, 1931

David P. Both

David P. Both, RHCE
Millennium Technology Consulting LLC
919-389-8678

dboth at millennium-technology.com

www.millennium-technology.com
www.databook.bz - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both