[TriLUG] Email Problems

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Mon Feb 11 03:40:21 EST 2013

James Jones said the following on 2/8/2013 11:46 AM:> Ron,

> On one of the member's email, I could not find it in the TRASH or
> SPAM, but the other's I have no idea.
>
> I have asked the second member to check in his trash & spam, but he
> has not done so. ( I asked by email from a juno.com account )
>
> The Verizon.net account doesn't really care since her husband uses
> gmail, she just reads his copy of the email.
>
> jcj

Hmmm.  I, too, am a TWC customer.  I was gone this weekend, got home
tonite, and just saw this discussion, but do not have the beginning of
it in my trilug folder. :-|  Comparing the list of message IDs from the
latest mailman archive file for this list, I had only 17 of 52 appear in
the maillog on my server.  I'm missing _most_ of the messages to Trilug
since Monday, Feb 4th.

Digging further in my logs I discovered that I now have a misconfigured
DNS RBL in my postfix configuration, a la:

/var/log/maillog.1:Feb  5 14:13:50 circle postfix/smtpd[7511]: NOQUEUE:
reject: RCPT from pilot.trilug.org[64.244.27.136]: 554 5.7.1 Service
unavailable; Client host [64.244.27.136] blocked using multi.uribl.com;
Queries from 24.25.4.58 are restricted due to high volume. See
http://uribl.com/about.shtml#abuse. Emails blocked due to this response
are done so incorrectly.  Please fix your implementation.;
from=<trilug-bounces at trilug.org> to=<lance at bearcircle.net> proto=ESMTP
helo=<pilot.trilug.org>

I'm missing 35 emails from the trilug list and I have exactly 35 lines
like this in my maillogs, along with lots more for other mail senders.
:-(  Trusting RR to handle my DNS lookups so that I don't have problsm
with CDNs instead of using OpenDNS or Google's public DNS has just bit
me in the butt.  I've removed multi.uribl.com from my postfix config.

I don't know if this is the OP's problem source or not but figure other
folks running their own mail service with anti-spam tactics behind RR
should know about it.

--[Lance]

--
 GPG Fingerprint: 409B A409 A38D 92BF 15D9 6EEE 9A82 F2AC 69AC 07B9
 CACert.org Assurer