[TriLUG] Debian on a laptop

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Feb 13 14:20:52 EST 2013

> I'm growing weary of trying to get Debian on a laptop.

If it's dragging you down, then don't do it.

You can run whatever OS you're comfortable with -- Ubuntu, MacOS,
Windows, whatever.  Install Virtualbox, free from Oracle.  Then install
Debian inside a virtual machine.

I do the same thing when I need to run a Windows-based tax program on my
Mac, or if I need to run a Debian compiler on my Ubuntu laptop.  The
host runs all your normal stuff, and the tools run on the guest.  That
way, you're not having to dual boot or do without your normal tools just
because your RasPi project needs a Debian environment.

And again, if it's just the desktop environment that's getting you down,
just run a **Debian-based** distro that has a bit more polish than
Debian itself.  Ubuntu is the obvious choice.

But your first instinct is correct... when you hit a snag, ask on this
list.  You might get a variety of solutions, but surely one of them will
work for you.

--
# Alan Porter