[TriLUG] Debian on a laptop

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 14:52:25 EST 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Grawburg <grawburg at myglnc.com> wrote:

> And remember, I MUST use Debian so as to keep me "in-sync" with the
> Raspberry Pi I have coming.

I have no idea why that's a hard requirement, or if it is.  Ubuntu systems
are Debian-based so that's probably good enough for you.  I use Lubuntu
12.10 on a Dell Inspiron 1720 with GeForce 8600M GT.  I've been running
Lubuntu for about a year now.  It is non-bloated and significantly faster
than my Vista installation on the same machine.  The main Ubuntu was
bloated.  Tried Xubuntu, can't remember why I blew that one off.  Many of
my decisions were driven by power management issues, since I'm often
running my laptop off my car's deep cycle battery.  I get longer battery
life on Lubuntu than I did with Vista.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every