[TriLUG] DNS providers: why bother? was Re: Email Problems

Greg Cox glcox at pobox.com
Fri Feb 15 04:11:03 EST 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Aaron Joyner <aaron at joyner.ws> wrote:

> * - A surprise awaits any diligent reader who can explain where the
> dig +trace command above gets it's list of the root nameserver
> addresses from.  :)

Tangential: for my home BIND I have a couple of weekly-to-monthly
maintenance tasks that have come up and prevented boring cacher dns from
being set-and-forget.
1) go 'offsite' and construct a new root hints file from the live data,
since they do change now and then*.
2) go out and download/construct a 'bogon' list ** which then gets slurped
in for security.

* http://d.root-servers.org/renumber.html
** http://www.team-cymru.org/Services/Bogons/ and
http://www.cidr-report.org/bogons/

Any other general housekeeping that I've overlooked?