[TriLUG] Ignoring certain DHCP options (specifically, DNS)

Brian Henning bhenning at pineinst.com
Tue Feb 19 09:57:40 EST 2013

Hi group,

My ISP (TWC) has one of those oh-so-wonderful domain-not-found landing
pages.  It's got an opt-out mechanism, but that opt-out mechanism doesn't
actually work.  Of course, TWC service people don't seem to be very
concerned.  One tech I spoke to suggested I use another DNS server.  For
some reason, he didn't see the irony of instructing me not to use the
product he was supporting.

So anyway, that's exactly what I want to do; I want to use 8.8.8.8 /
8.8.4.4.  Problem is, any time my public DHCP lease expires, dhclient
rewrites my resolv.conf with the DNS option from the new DHCP lease,
pointing me back to TWC's servers.

I've done some searching and I see references to modifying dhclient.conf,
but my system (CentOS 5.8) doesn't have one (so apparently dhclient is
operating completely on defaults?).

So my question is: Is creating a dhclient.conf the only right solution to
tell dhclient to ignore DNS info from DHCP and leave my resolv.conf alone?
Is there some modification I could make to the interface's ifcfg script
instead?  I'm much more comfortable modifying an existing file (ifcfg) than
trying to create a complete one from scratch (dhclient.conf).

Thanks!
~Brian

          Brian Henning, Software Engineer

    /\    Pine Research Instrumentation