[TriLUG] Running multiple CUPS daemons on a single system

Andrew Stephenson tendonut at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 19:18:36 EST 2013

We are attempting to consolidate the number of systems (VMs or bare metal)
that are supporting our CUPS infrastructure. Right now, we have one CUPS
server per office, each with maybe a single printer that gets 100 print
jobs a month. We'd like a single system in a datacenter to support in the
long run, but we'd like to not bombard users with a list of 300 printers
every time they want to print something. I've looked at trying to
manipulate CUPS into hiding printers from certain ranges of IPs, but the
functionality doesn't seem to be there.  I absolutely realize I am trying
to do something that CUPS was never intended for, but this was the option I
was able to make the most progress with. I am open to other suggestions if
anyone has one.