[TriLUG] best way to hack root...

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Feb 22 20:26:49 EST 2013

And what I've done each of the 172 times I've forgotten the password
was to disconnect from the network, boot a live CD, mount the root
partition, and edit /etc/passwd, and from user number 0 remove the star
in the password position, leaving two colons up against each other.
Then I reboot, log in a root, enter a passwword with the passwd
command, make a password for my normal user if I don't remember that
one either, then log out, reconnect the network, and log in with my
regular username.