[TriLUG] The tool I'm looking for

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Fri Mar 1 21:30:58 EST 2013

I'd like to be able to point something at the archives of a GNU Mailman
list and have it go "poof!" and create a local (on my computer)
something that could be interacted with using whatever (web browser,
Ruby script, I don't care) that would allow searching the messages.  For
instance if I had this URL: http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/ it
would be nice to have a tool that would grok the structure of that web
page, get some or all of the .gz files, create a searchable database,
and make available an interface such that a query result would point
back to the archived messages. It would of course score extra bonus
points if this mechanism could be copied to an arbitrary server so
anybody on the Internet could enjoy the fruits of this tool's labor.

Put a different way, it's the year 2013. How is it possible that the
TriLUG email isn't searchable, or have I just not found it after all
this time?

-Pete