[TriLUG] Television & RF interference -- yes computer related -- I think

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Wed Mar 6 23:27:52 EST 2013

According to the preacher and the producer, NO NEW EQUIPMENT, NO CHANGES.

In the "younger" days of Ham Radio, there was a better chance of
possible interference, because most Ham gear was made by the
operators. Now that MOST ham gear is commercially made, I suspect
interference would be minimal. If it is caused by a Ham Operator, I
would suspect some one new to the neighborhood near the church.

I plan to put filters on the power line going to the MAC as a first
step, then the video distribution amplifier.

Note, the church building is mainly a metal building with brick front.

jcj

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:41 PM, Peter Neilson <neilson at windstream.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 21:49:58 -0500, R Radford <rradford at mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
>> This kinda makes sense to me as the old method would make each ham
>> radio operator responsible for tracking down and fixing interference
>> from their equipment, even if the fault was not in their equipment.
>

> I remember from the OLD old days that folks would blame any TV problem at
> all on RFI from "that damned ham operator" down the street. I simply took to
> doing TV repair for free, and I'll bet a lot of other hams did, too. Funny,
> how my POWERED-OFF rig could cause a TV's weak 6SN7 (a dual triode common in
> the sync circuits, way back then) to be unable to lock the vertical sync. I
> took to stocking 6SN7s.
>
> As for the church's video problem, my bet is on the wireless mikes. WHAT NEW
> EQUIPMENT was added at the time the problem started? WHAT WAS CHANGED? I'm
> almost inspired to attend the service and help debug, except that I'll be at
> work.
>
> Peter (ex-K1LWT)
>
> --
> This message was sent to: jc jones <jc.jones at tuftux.com>