[TriLUG] Steam says that two percent of its users are now on Linux

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 7 16:10:55 EST 2013

>Apple does not believe in open standards for their user experience.  They
>are tight lock-down control-mongers.  There is no repository where I can
>download MacOS or iOS and improve the source code, so I have no idea what
>you're talking about that Apple is open source driven.  What they've done,
>is sensibly leverage an open source base to support an entirely proprietary
>business model.

Yup Exactly what I said. They leverage the Open Source code. They don't waste time (ie Dev $$$) on trivial subjects that are being done for them. I never said they were on an Open Source Model. They develop their uniqueness on top of the Open Source code. I am not sure you are aware that people use Open Source Linux code on Apple all the time. Somtimes it requires them to change the code a little just for Apple differences. But by and large the same.

I am not sure how this changes the fact that their OS is 90% the same as Linux and interoperability with Linux is super easy. Unlike interoperability with Windows, which is difficult.

The statement that Apple is a *nix OS based on Open Source BSD is a fact.

Hence they benefit from World Efforts.