[TriLUG] Open Source vs Closed Source

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 7 16:28:04 EST 2013

>IBM's AIX is alive and well, being sold and maintained by IBM to
>corporate customers for their data centers world wide.

AIX is far from alive and well it was shelved years ago. It is only maintained for legacy purposes. IBM has been pushing their customers off it for over a decade. Yes it exists, it is sold, but it is dying a slow death and not developed other than bug fixes.

My point was and is that the Open Source *nix and those that adopted it as their base absolutely have oblitierated Microsoft if you count those OS's as a single category in number of installed devices. I do not beleive it would have happend without the Open Source Revolution, which is the source of common standard computing.

That is all am trying to say. I realize the different OS's are different and for good reasons, but they still allow me easily move from one to the other with only slight differences. Syslog is Syslog, X is X, etc.

Now try to take a MS guy and see how quickly he can move to customized embedded Linux.