[TriLUG] Television & RF interference -- yes computer related -- I think

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Mar 7 18:10:29 EST 2013

Folks not interested in this subject should most definitely hit "delete"
or "next" or something.

I think Rod and the earlier poster may be non-violently agreeing with
each other that most consumer electronic equipment in this country is
subject to FCC Part 15 rules and modern (with vanishingly rare homebrew)
amateur radio equipment interference that is legally the amateur's fault
is very rare, while US equipment is very susceptible.

IMO wireless microphones have zero chance of being a problem.
Fergetaboutit.

But the FCC regs and your neighbors exist in two worlds. If you fire up
1.5kw on 160 meters to see if you too can connect with somebody in
Australia from here in North Carolina and your neighbor's house goes bat
sh*t, it won't matter at all that all of their equipment is covered
under FCC Part 15 and your equipment is perfect relative to part 97.
Folks can sue other folks for a small filing fee, but long before that
they can appear at your door, beet-red and implying that because your
actions are interfering with their viewing of the (insert sports event
here), you are the devil, but more to the point ask  *what are you going
to do about it RIGHT NOW?* I'm speaking hypothetically now, but the
short answer is if I'm holding onto my expected position in a contest
I'll weigh the cost of telling the neighbor to go pound sand (while
wondering just how bad it's going to be with my wife). But otherwise
(and in all my experience in the real world, and everything I've heard
or read about with my amateur friends, and because I never got seriously
competitive), I STOP and then bend over backwards to help the neighbor
eliminate their interference as soon as I can, even if it means I spend
a lot of time in their home installing equipment I paid for.

To proceed I'm assuming this is about radio interference and not
something correlated with the equipment in the church that is also only
used at time X.

Amateurs do quite often tend to talk for a few minutes at a time. In
contests talking for more than about 1 1/2 seconds at a time meant
you're losing. :-) Morse code traffic can vary even more, from a
fraction of a second bursts to long "rag chews."

RF overload is frequently the culprit, and so it doesn't matter if the
nearby transmitter is squeaky clean from a spectral purity standpoint.
If it's close enough, the receiving end has to have profound levels of
bandpass filtering to avoid problems. Put a
different way, if you bring a transmitter close to a receiver and the
transmitter is on frequency X and the receiver is on frequency Y, at
some point Y is going to respond to X's signal and become unable to
receive other signals on frequency Y and it *will* demodulate X's signal
for many modulation types, putting crap downstream like video hash bars,
buzzing, "Donald Duck imitations", etc.

Early on with my amateur hobby I was in a contest and there was another
signal that was so incredibly loud I thought the person involved was
obviously breaking one or more rules. But no, he was a few thousand feet
away and I was pinning his signal strength meter too. Normal.

In my experience most often the interference gets into the neighbor's
equipment via the  electrical wiring. Wrapping *all* of the power cords
involved with their troubled equipment through ferrite cores can
sometimes provide relief. You want to ask yourself "where are the long
runs of wire here?" and create a very high (usually common mode)
impedance at the frequency of interest. But what frequency is involved,
and what kinds of common mode chokes (aka ferrites) are needed? The
frequency involved and the ones that provide relief, of course. :-) And
"long wiring" includes telephone wiring and home entertainment speaker
wiring too. If I had a nickel for every time some non-linear component
in a sound system rectified my SSB signal and put Donald Duck imitations
into the speakers...

Using the blind shotgun approach, I have to say these filters below have
been the best for me *for HF frequency interference* (HF is technically
3-30mhz). If the problem is a UHF or VHF source, these might or might
not be effective. More is better, if there is any overlap with respect
to effective frequency. As a citizen I must apologize for the fact that
after all this time Radio Shack doesn't publish the specs on these devices.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103979&locale=en_US

There is of course a boat load of information on this subject available
on the net. You might start here:

http://www.arrl.org/radio-frequency-interference-rfi

-Pete AD4L