[TriLUG] Steam says that two percent of its users are now on Linux

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 8 11:39:22 EST 2013

>No, I'm talking about Apple's proprietary business model being worth all
>the money.  Apple is *not* compatible with anything else in any way that
>matters for making Apple money.  That's why MS wants to be Apple, and
>Canonical wants to be Apple.  Nobody's sharing the consumer market, they're
>fighting tooth and nail over it, with incompatible proprietary
>implementations.  Although in Canonical's case, they might pull a rabbit
>out of their arse that benefits Linux generally.  But I'm doubting it, as
>it reeks of NIH and platform fragmentation, the main thing that drives
>consumers away from Linux in the 1st place.

 Brandon,

We will have to agree to disagree on Apple. Saying Apple is not compatible is truly misleading in every sense. If I can compile a program from open source *nix and use it on Apple, It think that pretty much seals the notion that they are compatible. It really is not even arguable that Apple is a *nix and this by nature makes them compible to use with other *nix computers, with particular compatibility to Open Source being that they are built on that platform. On the end user Super Apps, I hear what you are saying, but let's seperate the Apps from the OS.

I mean, hasn't Apple been a big developer of CUPS and isn't cups just yet onther standard not used by MS?

John Vaughters