[TriLUG] Raspberry Pi Power Supply

R Radford rradford at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 13 17:02:53 EDT 2013

The Raspberry Pi A and B boards are fused at 0.75A at the input so
can't draw more than this, so a 2A supply will be more than adequate
for the Raspberry Pi and any directly attached USB peripherals.

If you run power hungry USB peripherals such as an external HD or
higher power WiFi adapter, you will need to run an externally powered
USB hub anyway to provide power to those peripherals.

If you were to buy something new, I would go with a decent powered USB
hub as you can use it to both power the Raspberry Pi as well as
provide powered USB outputs.  However, since you already have a 2A
supply, I see no reason to buy anything else.