[TriLUG] OT: Diagnosing APC Back-UPS Misbehavior

Peter Neilson neilson at windstream.net
Tue Mar 19 11:03:06 EDT 2013

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 07:57:45 -0400, Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote at att.net>
wrote:

> APC is being highly nuanced in their responses.  They aren't outright
> saying that the two UPSes are bad, but they did say that they do not
> recommend returning the batteries.  They are instead offering a discount
> program on replacement UPSes.  This seems generous for UPSes that are as
> old as these, and it makes me wonder if there might be something afoot
> with these UPSes.

I'd go with the discount on the new ones. It's quite clear they want to
stop any bad-mouthing that might possibly occur, regardless of where the
fault may lie. I'll bet they have considered the question, "Why should
somebody buy a UPS from us, rather than from someone else?"

In my wife's career as a quality engineer she worked for a while at
Gillette. Their official attitude towards customer complaints was that
each one was a piece of gold thrown over the transom into their money bin.
Why? Because every person who reported dissatisfaction represented a
thousand others who didn't bother talking to Gillette but instead talked
to their friends.

I have several APC UPS thingees (I don't know the right plural for UPS)
and have never had any trouble at all that could not be solved by
replacing the battery. I do not have the 800, though. They seem like a
solid company.

Ha! The plural for UPS is like the plural for mongoose. "Send me a
mongoose. While you're at it, send me another one."