[TriLUG] Best printer?

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at att.net
Mon Mar 25 10:47:05 EDT 2013

Hi Peter,

I got tired enough from dealing with the printer ink barons ("let's just
make this cartridge expire while it's still half full") that I switched
over to the printer toner barons last year, and I haven't looked back.

Color laser printers have come way down.  Here's the one I got:
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Printer-HL3075CW-Wireless-Color/dp/B0060WDIX8

Supports wireless networking and works fine on Ubuntu.  Prints
beautifully at 2400 dpi on glossy paper.  I bumped it up to 512MB with
an inexpensive memory card, and it swallows large PDFs without a burp now.

I won't say it's flawless.  It took some experimentation to get the
manual feed through the front slot to work consistently for things like
mailing and cdrom labels.  Every so often the data feed glitches and I
have to cancel the print job.  That's been happening since I got my
first printer back when computers were hand-cranked.  On the other hand,
it's still on the first set of toner carts and it's tossed out a lot of
color pages.

I also have a b&w laser printer with a scanner for jobs that don't need
color.  You might be able to get by with your old HP for scanning though.

Good luck,

   Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote